I’ve always liked the idea of a pecan pie… Pecans and pie, really, what’s not to love! But I’d never actually eaten one before. I decided to make one and see if it was as good as I thought it could be.
200g digestive biscuits
100g butter, melted
150g dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp golden syrup
170g Carnation condensed milk
100g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
– Heat the oven to gas mark 3/170C
– Place the ring from an 8″ victoria sandwich tin on a baking tray and grease well.
– Crush the biscuits in a sandwich bag and mix with the melted butter.
– Press firmly into the ring to form a base, making sure to fill all gaps and smooth up the sides firmly.
– In a large jug first cream together the butter and sugar then add the other filling ingredients, reserving the pecans, and mix well.
– Pour the mixture into the pie base.
– Gently place the pecans on the top of the filling in circles.
– Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the filling is set in the middle.