I found a whole box of asparagus bundles reduced to 30p each at the supermarket and just couldn’t resist! I restrained myself to 6 bunches. I spent a few weeks in Italy earlier this year during asparagus season and was served a delicious asparagus soup. It seemed like a good time to give it a go myself!
1 onion, chopped
750ml hot chicken stock
100ml creme fraiche
– Gently melt the butter in a large saucepan.
– Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes with the lid on until soft.
– Chop the asparagus into ~1″ lengths, removing the woody ends of the stalks and reserving at least 12 asparagus tips.
– Add the asparagus to the pan and gently cook for 10 minutes.
– Add the hot stock and use a stick blender to puree until smooth.
– Add the creme fraiche and stir until it has melted in.
– Add most of the asparagus tips and simmer the soup for a few minutes.
– Serve with a few of the asparagus tips on the surface.