I’ve never actually eaten Saag Aloo before so I don’t really know how this recipe compares to others. What I can say is that I found it absolutely delicious and I will definitely be cooking it again!
I will especially be deploying it when my dad cooks curry. I love spices and the breadth of flavours they bring. I am not a fan of blowing your head of with heat! My Dad believes that the hotter a curry is the better. The potatoes and spinach in this Saag Aloo work to cut down on the spice level but still with a fantastic depth of flavour in its own right.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp coriander leaf
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp Nigella seeds
500g potatoes, cubed ~1cm
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until bubbling.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook with the lid on for about 3 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and just enough boiling water to cover them 3/4 the way up.
- Simmer with the lid on for 20-30 minutes until a sharp knife pierces the potato softly.
- Add the spinach and give it a stir to wilt.
- Serve with whatever you wish!