4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white (wine) vinegar
6 tbsp icing sugar
Assorted summer fruits
– Heat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C and live and baking tray.
– In a clean glass bowl whisk the egg whites until full and satiny.
– Add the sugar a spoonful at a time, continuing to whisk until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
– Fold in the cornflour and vinegar.
– Scoop our onto the prepared tray and smooth to create a well in the centre.
– Put the baking tray in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to gas mark 2/140°C.
– Bake for an hour and a half. Leave to cool in the oven, if using an electric oven open the door a bit.
– When the meringue is cooled prepare your fruit.
– Add the cream and icing sugar to a large mixing bowl and whisk until stiff.
– Split the cream in half and stir chopped fruits through one half.
– Spread the cream with fruit over the meringue.
– Top the fruity cream with the remaining whipped cream. (Doing this means that you get a clean, white topping with no bleed through from the fruits. Feel free to skip this design if you prefer.)
– Decorate the top with good looking fruits.