Thus named because this is the risotto that we had throughout my childhood in the week following a roast chicken dinner as a good way to use up leftovers… it still is!
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250g arborio rice
150ml white wine
700ml hot chicken stock (make it from the roast chicken carcass if possible)
Leftover cooked chicken (I use the two thighs)
~8 mushrooms, quartered
1 cup frozen peas
100g cold water prawns
1tbsp lemon juice
small knob of butter
– Heat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C.
– Melt the butter, with the olive oil, in a large, deep casserole dish with a lid until just bubbling and foaming.
– Add the garlic and cook on a medium heat for 1 minute.
– Add the rice and cook for about 1 minute, stiring well.
– Add the wine and cook, stiring until the liquid is absorbed.
– Add the hot chicken stock and stir.
– Add the clocked chicken, frozen peas, mushrooms and prawns and give a good stir.
– Add the lemon juice and stir.
– Put the lid on and put the casserole dish and out it in the oven for 35 minutes.
– Remove from the oven give it a good stir and check the rice is to your taste, if it is too al dente (hard) then put it back in for another 5 minutes.
– Add the knob of butter and leave to sit for 5 minutes to melt before storing through and serving.
When I was little I would add soy sauce to it but as I grew older I would add Parmesan and creme fraiche, follow your own taste buds