Posting this here in case the original recipe ever goes away. This is the best chocolate cake ever! Super simple and quick to make and the fact that it’s vegan is just a bonus!
- 225 g plain flour
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp instant espresso powder
- 75 g cocoa
- 300 g soft dark brown sugar
- 375 ml hot water from a recently boiled kettle
- 75 g coconut oil
- 1½ tsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
– Heat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C.
– Grease and dust the inside of a Bundt tin with cocoa powder. (Or silicone round ‘tin’ or mini Bundt tins)
– Combine the flour, bicarb, salt, espresso powder and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Make sure there are no lumps.
– Mix the sugar, water, coconut oil and vinegar in a large jug. Again, make sure there are no lumps.
– Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly and, you guessed it, make sure there are no lumps! Dry bits of flour love to hide!
– Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
– Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes. The centre of the cake should not wobble when it is done.
– Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then carefully invert on a wire rack to cool completely. Do not leave in the tin or it is liable to crumble when removing from the tin.
– Ice with a basic chocolate ganache when totally cool. I use 1 part oat cream to two parts dark chocolate for a vegan ganache. Raspberry buttercream is also an excellent icing.