This recipe for Channa Masala is a brilliant one to have in your repetoir. It makes a delicious meal in its own right or a brilliant accompaniment to a large meal.
It also makes a wonderful fast day option as it is so filling and extremely satisfying on its own!
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp lemon juice
2x 400g tins tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
2x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan or deep frying pan.
- Cook the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for a minute longer
- Add the lemon juice, tomatoes, puree and chickpeas and simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour.
- The sauce should be slightly reduced and nicely glossy and thick.
- Serve immediately or this also freezes really well!