I decided to shake things up a bit last weekend! Instead of the normal roast chicken and veg I decided to stretch my culinary wings and do Spicy Indian Roast Chicken with Indian side dishes.
It was a big hit and leftovers worked brilliantly in wraps and sandwiches! I used a simple dry spice rub to get a bit of flavour in to the meat. Easy to do, the only tricky part is getting the rub under the breast skin but that’s just because I’m squeamish about it!
1 large chicken
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
- Heat the oven to gas mark 5 / 190C.
- Place the chicken in a suitable roasting pan.
- Make a few scores in the skin of the legs.
- Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl.
- Rub all over the chicken.
- To get the rub under the breast gently skin pull the skin up from the opening and snip the centre join to form one large pocket.
- Carefully rub the rub inside the pocket.
- Roast for 25 minutes per pound + 25 extra. Since you’ll likely be using kg here is the maths for a 2 kg chicken:
2 x 2.2 = 4.4 x 25 =110 + 25 = 135 minutes So 2 hours 15 minutes cooking time.