Sodabread! Ok, confession time: In a moment of new year madness I decided not to keep bread in the house as it was too tempting and I am trying to cut back on refined carbs… well, that didn’t last! I desperately needed a vehicle for the poached egg I was craving so as a compromise, instead of going out and buying a whole loaf of worthless white bread I whipped up this little loaf of sodabread. It made me feel slightly more virtuous! Its an excellent recipe to turn to in times of need and goes brilliantly with eggs, soup, pate and more!
1tbsp lemon juice
a scant 200ml milk
200g self raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
– Heat the oven to 180C/Gas4.
– Grease a small loaftin.
– Add the lemon juice to your milk and set aside.
– In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
– Add almost all of the milk to the flour, keeping a little in reserve.
– Give it a good mix around to make sure everything is combined.
– If the mixture is too dry add the remaining milk.
– Tip/scoop it into your greased loaf tin.
– Bake for 40 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and tip out of the tin, it should be floaty light and sound hollow when tapped on the base.
– Let it rest for 10 minutes or so before serving warm.
– Wrap any leftovers in clingfilm and try to eat it within 2 days.
Do as I say, not as I do! For reasons of rust I had to line this tin. MISTAKE! The lining stuck and stuck hard!