NUTELLA! Is there anything finer? Nutella smothered over sweet bread? Got you covered here! Nutella is one of the finer things in life and I thought it deserved something fun so this Nutella Braided Ring was born! Just look at it! (I kinda want to lick the screen!)
This recipe uses about half a jar of Nutella. You may want to push the envelope further and use a whole jar, but don’t! Bad things will happen! (Oozing and burning things!)
It’s a tricky, sticky thing to get right but it tastes amazing, with each fold of bread hugging a ribbon of Nutella to it. It is the perfect breakfast/afternoon snack type bread, just sweet enough but still nice and filling!
250g strong bread flour
1 tsp salt
7g instant yeast
50g unsalted butter
135ml warm milk
1/2 jar Nutella (or own brand, who can really tell these days?)
– Take a large mixing bowl and add the flour, then add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other.
– Mix it all together.
– Chop your butter up into little bits and add this along with the milk and egg.
– Get in there with one hand and mix everything together.
– Keep mixing by hand in the bowl. It will be sticky but keep going and after not too long it will start to come together into a cohesive dough.
– Once you have almost everything as one ball of dough you can turn it out onto a floured worksurface and really start kneading! (There will still be some sticky bits, you can take a small bit of dough and clean round the bowl to mop up stragglers.)
– Keep working it, the trick with a wetter dough is time!
– After about 10 minutes you should have a smooth, elastic dough.
– Place in a clean, oiled bowl, cover and place somewhere sheltered to rise for 1-2 hours until doubled in size. I found 2 hours about perfect.
– Prepare your apples.
– Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured worksurface. Do NOT knock it down.
– Simply start to roll it out with a rolling pin. You want it to be about 25cm deep and 45cm long. Try to keep it rectangular.
– Spread the Nutella in a thin layer across the dough, leaving a strip nearest you to seal it together at the end.
– Carefully roll the long end of the dough towards you, keeping the roll quite tight.
– When you have a long roll gently press to seal the dough back to itself.
– Starting about 1″ in from the end cut straight through the dough all the way along to the other end.
– Now for the messy bit! Twist each half around the other, one over the top, followed by the next, arranging the cut side so it faces uppermost.
– Gently manoeuver onto a baking tray covered in baking parchment and bring each end round to form a circle. Press the ends together gently to secure.
– Place in a plastic bag (bin bags work well here) and leave in a sheltered spot to rise for another hour.
– Heat the oven to gas mark 6/200C.
– Bake for 25 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
3 responses to “Nutella Braided Ring”
I find buying Nutella is a dangerous thing, I try to limit myself because I end up just eating it straight from the jar! This looks amazingly delicious and dangerous! I will have to try
Dangerous but so very worth it! I love this recipe because it takes the simple joy of nutella on bread and elevates it to a whole new level!