I found this recipe on the Good Food website and I have to admit that I was sceptical but it seemed like a good jumping off point. I took the idea of using milk and curry paste added a sachet of coconut cream to give a little extra richness. I love the flavour of coconut in savoury food but the price of coconut milk at the moment is extortionate so wanted to see if this alternative would work. I’m pleased to say that it did. Filling, flavoursome and delicious this recipe is a real winner!
1 onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp korma paste
1 sachet of coconut cream (about 3 tbsp worth if chopping off a bigger block)
1/3 cup quinoa (I actually just used an esspresso cup)
cooked prawns (totally optional)
mixed vegetables of your choice (I packed 9 in there!)
1 tbsp fish sauce
– Heat the onion and curry paste in a large saucepan with a splash of water.
– Add the coconut cream.
– Warm the milk in the microwave (or in a small pan) before adding to the pan. Do not add cold milk, it will curdle.
– Bring to a light boil.
– Add the quinoa, prawns and the vegetables.
– Give a good stir round and simmer for about 15 minutes (check your quinoa packet for timings). You want the little white swirl to have uncurled.
– Add the fish sauce and add plenty of salt to taste.
– This will be really hot so leave to cool for a little while, the quinoa will soak up more of the liquid too so it won’t be as soupy.