Yes, it’s a slightly funny name but my goodness are these delicious! And even better, you can whip them up in under 5 minutes. They make an excellent lunch, snack or even add a side salad and call them dinner! It’s not so much of a recipe here, more a bit of guidance.
I find it helps if you think of them as a slightly odd toastie when thinking of flavour combinations. I haven’t gone so far as to make a ham, cheese and Branston’s pickle Quesadilla yet but I fear it’s only time! One thing I would advise: Never skip the cheese! A good melty cheddar is your standby but by all means, go nuts! Mozerella, parmesan, ementhal, gorgonaola, the cheesy world is your oyster!
These Quesadilla are ham, cheese and tomato but my favourite filling has to be chicken, cheese, tomato, sweet chilli sauce and a smear of mayonaise! Delicious! Red onion and sliced peppers work nicely in nearly any flavour, and just plain old cheese and tomato is a good meat free option. I’ve even seen a tuna melt Quesadilla before. Have a little fun and experiment with what you like!
1 flour tortilla wrap
1-2 slices ham, torn up
1/2 a tomato, sliced
~1/2 cup grated cheese
– Warm the tortilla wrap on a plate in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to make it pliant.
– Heat a large frying pan dry.
– Scatter the tomato over half the tortilla wrap.
– Add a layer of ham.
– Sprinkle over the grated cheese. (I simply grate my cheese directly onto the wrap.)
– Fold the wrap in half and carefully place in the hot frying pan. You can cook two at a time if your pan is big enough.
– Cook for about 1 minute until the underside fo the wrap is crips and browning then carefully turn over and cook the other side for a further minute.
– Place on a plate and slice into segments.