For the finale I wanted something that screamed Christmas but wasn’t something traditional. Again, it also had to be something I could prep beforehand and set aside. This produced all of the “Wows” I could have wished for when I brought it out at the end of the meal. Even my dad was tempted to eat some and the man hates desserts! I have to say it was delicious! Despite the fact that it’s made of cream and sugar it’s actually a very light dessert. The perfect end to a gluttinous meal!
250g fresh cranberries
200g caster sugar + 3 tbsp
400ml double cream
1 egg white, beathn until frothy
– Put most of the cranberries in a small pan with 150g of the sugar. Keep back 16 or so for the garnish.
– Cook the cranberries in the pan with a lid on until the sugar melts and bubbles. Cook for ~10 minutes until the cranberries are soft. They will pop, do not scream like a girl (ahem) when they do so.
– Use a spoon to mash them up once they are cooked.
– Set aside to cool.
– Whilst they are cooling take a large mixing bowl and pour 200ml of the cream and the remaining 50g sugar into it.
– Use a hand mixer to beat until the cream forms soft peaks.
– Stir the remaining 200ml cream into the cranberries until a wonderful pink colour.
– Tip this pink mixture on top of the whipped cream.
– Stir through only a few times to acheive a marbled effect.
– Spoon into four cocktail glasses.
– To garnish take the remaining cranberries and dip them in the egg white.
– Put the 3 tbsp sugar on a plate and drop the cranberries onto the sugar. Roll around until evenly coated in sugar.
– Set aside to set.
– Once hard, plce a few cranberries on each dessert.
– Chill until ready to serve.
2 responses to “Cranberry Fool”
Pingback: My pre-Christmas Dinner « Anna in the kitchen
Pingback: Honey, I’m home! | Anna in the kitchen