Last year was my first attempt at making mincemeat for Christmas. It was good, but it wasn’t quite right. Unfortunately, with things like mincemeat you have to wait a year for your next attempt! I thought that last year’s had too much suet so I cut that down, I also prefer orange to lemon so switched orange juice in for the lemon juice. All in all I think it’s better, but perhaps to be improved on again next year!
(Yup, same photo! Imagine less suet in there!)
Makes 3 lbs (Sorry to mix up the metric and imperial but the jam jars say 1lb and I filled 3 of them!)
750g mixed dried fruits
a scant 50ml lemon juice
100g shredded suet (I use veggie just in case)
1 large bramley apple, peeled and grated
250g dark brown sugar
1/2 a small nutmeg, grated
– Mix together the dried fruits, brandy and orange juice in a large bowl.
– Leave to sit for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
– Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
– Spoon into sterilised jars. (Putting them through the dishwasher is easiest or wash them in hot soapy water then dry them in the oven for 10 minutes.)
– Press down with the back of the spoon to get all the air out of the jar.
– Put on the lids and leave in a cool dark place (read cupboard!) for 2 weeks then make mince pies! Yum!