I love tomato soup made from fresh tomatoes in the summer and somewhere about I saw the idea for tomato soup made using tinned tomatoes. In the depths of winter, although spring seems to be trying, I often feel that there’s just no point in buying tasteless, watery, tough tomatoes shipped in from god knows where but a bowl of comforting tomato soup can be just the thing. A tin of Heinz has its place but sometimes you want to make things yourself. This is quick, simple to throw together and I think that just about everyone will have the ingredients in their storecupboard essentials. I threw this together for my lunch tomorrow. I’m having it with my new recipe for Soft Bread Sticks.
Serves 2-4 (depends how big your bowl is!)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1x 400g tin tinned tomatoes
1 pint chicken stock
3 tbsp creme fraiche
salt and pepper to taste
– Heat a splash of oil and a knob of butter in a medium sized pan until just bubbling.
– Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and fry gently until soft.
– Add the tomatoes and stock.
– Stir well and bring to a simmer then remove from the heat.
– Add the creme fraiche and then use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
– Reheat and season to taste. (I gave mine a good whack of salt and a moderate amount of pepper as I don’t like things too peppery.)
– Serve hot.