I’ve been making muffins for breakfasts since I started work. I’ve been sticking to sweet, fruity ones for the most part (Chocolate and morello cherry being a high point! I must make more and post the recipe). I was starting to tire of those though so I thought I’d attempt a savoury muffin. Bacon was the obvious breakfast food to go for and what goes better with bacon than cheese? They are lovely and get full marks from the whole family.
100g bacon (5 rashers), chopped into small pieces and cooked.
100g mature cheddar, grated plus a little extra for topping
140g plain flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp sunflower oil
– Heat the oven to gas mark 6 and line 6 holes of a muffin tin.
– Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
– In a jug mix together the milk and lemon juice.
– If you haven’t already done so now is a good time to grate your cheese and cook your bacon.
– Add the egg and oil to the jug and beat together.
– Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the cheese and bacon.
– Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
– Divide the mixture between the paper cases.
– Grate a little more cheese on top of the muffin mix. (Make sure any stray bits of cheese are tidied up, nothing worse than baked on cheese!)
– Bake for 20 minutes.
– Remove from the oven and leave to rest in the tin for about 5 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.