My mum LOVES sweet chilli sauce. I honestly think she’d have it on everything if she could. So I found this recipe for sweet chilli jam and knew I had to make it for her for Christmas. It’s got a bit of a kick to it but if you’re not keen on spicy then just don’t use so many chillies. I used a really big deep saute pan much wider than it is tall, which is a really useful pan to have around but any really large pan will do. If the pan is deep rather than wide the jam will take longer to reach setting point.
Makes about 4 small (~250ml) jars.
8 red peppers, chopped (I used 4 long sweet ones and 4 bell as the supermarket didn’t have 8) < would you look at that, didn’t know I could do that I meant 8 then)!
6 large red chillies, sliced
about 2 1/2″ root ginger, peeled and chopped
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
400g tin cherry or plain chopped tomatoes
750g granulated sugar
250ml red wine vinegar
– Put the peppers, chillies, ginger and garlic in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped and pulpy. You may have to do this in two batches.
– Put this into your pan and add the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.
– Bring to the boil and then simmer at a rapid pace for about 45 minutes. Keep stirring to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
– When there is a texture change and it goes very thick and sticky give it 5 minutes more while stirring.
– Put into sterilised jars while still hot and screw the lids on immediately.