Right, that’s it I declare it to be Christmas time! Today I went out and gathered holly, ivy and teasles from the village, I found holly with berries on it! I’ve lived in this village for 20 years but I never knew that there was a holly tree with berries on the edge of the green until we got the dog and he tied his lead round it! I was after just a few sprigs for a small arrangement but got a bit carried away. I came home with my basket and got on with making the mincemeat in preparation for Christmas. This needs to mature for 2 weeks so this batch will be ready for the 4th, if you fancy having a go I suggest you make it now before it’s too late!
Makes 750ml (ish)
750g mixed dried fruits
a scant 50ml lemon juice
300g shredded suet (I use veggie just in case)
1 large bramley apple, peeled and grated
250g dark brown sugar
1/2 a small nutmeg, grated
– Mix together the dried fruits, brandy and lemon juice in a large bowl.
– Leave to sit for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
– Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
– Spoon into sterilised jars. (Putting them through the dishwasher is easiest or wash them in hot soapy water then dry them in the oven for 10 minutes.)
– Press down with the back of the spoon to get all the air out of the jar.
– Put on the lids and leave in a cool dark place (read cupboard!) for 2 weeks then make mince pies! Yum!