I am planning a big Halloween feast tomorrow night but to keep us going during the day I made these spooky halloween cupcakes. The cupcakes were made to my usual cupcake recipe. I made half chocolate and half vanilla by making up the whole batch plain, spooning out the 6 plain into their cases then stiring in a large spoonful of cocoa powder and mixing it well, then spooning the remaining mixture into the remaining 6 cases. I made sure to well fill four of the cases that were to be the owls so they would form peaks.
You will need:
Giant Cadbury’s Buttons
Mini Cadbury’s Buttons
Chocolate Eyes (available nearly everywhere aroung Halloween)
Orange and Lemon Jelly Slices
Thick Glace Icing (Icing sugar and lemon juice mixed to a paste)
– First trim the peaks off the cupcakes and retain 4 of the chocolate peaks.
– Then ice the cupcakes with buttercream using a large nozzle or spread carefully using a flat bladed knife.
– Melt a handful of the Giant Buttons in a small ziplock freezer bag (1 minute in the microwave) then snip a small corner off.
– Put your glace icing in another freezer bag or a cone of baking paper with the corner snipped off.
For the Owls:
– Take the 4 retained peaks and slice them in half.
– Place the two halves in a V on the cupcake.
– Place a malteaser on either side for the eyes.
– Squeeze a good blob of glace icing on to each malteaser and place a mini button on top.
– Place an orange or lemon slice at the tip of the V for the beak.
For the Eyes:
– Place an eye at the centre of the cupcake.
– Take the bag of chocolate and ice eyelashes on the cupcake.
For the Sipders:
– Place a Giant Button at the centre of the cupcake.
– Ice legs on with the chocolate.
– Ice on the eyes with two blobs of glace icing and a dot of chocolate for the pupil.
– For smiley spiders finish by icing on a smile with chocolate.