My mum used to make these for me to take to uni and they were very, very popular! One of my friends once stole my phone so he could phone my mum and tell her how good they were! The surprise is the lovely gooey Nutella inside each one. I once, ill-advisedly, bought a 1.5 litre jar of nutella. I love Nutella but even I have been struggling to see how I’m ever going to finish this jar! It has got to the point now where it’s only good for cooking as it tastes a little off if you just spread it on bread. Happily these muffins are a great way to cook with Nutella.
50g dark muscoavdo sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
40g butter, melted and cooled (or 2 tbsp sunflower oil)
150g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
180g chocolate chips (I use Dairy Milk Chunks)
6 heaped teaspoons of Nutella
– Heat the oven to gas mark 6 and prepare 6 holes of a muffin tin.
– Beat together the sugar, milk, egg and vanilla essence then add the butter, or oil, and beat again.
– Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt into the mixture.
– Fold in gently.
– Add the chocolate chips and stir in.
– Half fill the paper cases with mixture then place a heaped teaspoon of Nutella in the centre. Spoon the rest of the mixture on top.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes. (Mine took 25)
– Remove from the oven and leave to cool a little in the tin then place on a wire rack to cool completely or serve warm.