As the nights draw in I’m trying to find more recipes that come from the traditional comfort food genre but that don’t pile on the stodge and calories. Tonight’s effort was supposed to be cooked with a low fat shortcrust recipe I’d seen, however, as I was still an hour away from home when I should have started making that I whizzed into Tesco and grabbed a packet of filo pastry. I usually use olive oil instead of butter in any event so I saved on the fat there too. As for accompaniments I had a quick whip round the freezer and found some oven chips, again a healthier alternative. We were going to have peas too but they have gone AWOL so no peas.
7 sheets of filo pastry
1 onion, chopped
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
3 chicken breasts, in chunks
a good splash of olive oil
1 tbsp cornflour
1/2 pint chicken stock
– Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6.
– Select your pie dish and brush with oil.
– Line with 4 sheets of filo pastry, brushing lightly with oil between each layer. The pastry should over hang the dish.
– Heat some oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion with a pinch of salt until soft.
– Add the mushrooms and brown then add the chicken and cook until just browning.
– In a separate pan heat the oil then add the corn flour and rapidly whisk together.
– Add the chicken stock to this mix and cook for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
– Stir together the contents of the two pans.
– Spoon this into the pie dish on top of the pastry.
– Fold the filo sheets over the top of the filling and brush lightly with oil.
– Scrunch up the remaining 3 sheets and arrange on top of the pie then brush with oil.
– Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
– Serve and enjoy!
(I also made mini pies in a muffin tin with the leftover filo and a fresh batch of filling, just follow the same process in minature! I then froze them for later use in lunches.)
2 responses to “Low Fat Chicken and Mushroom Filo Pie Recipe”
Pingback: Shortcrust Pastry « Anna in the kitchen
Bought some filo pastry in Tesco and wasn’t sure what to do with it. We are both on diets (ugh!) in the house and so thought it would be a lighter choice than using shortcrust or puff pastry. Googled chicken and mushroom filo pie and I found I had some mushrooms in the fridge and came up with your low fat chicken and mushroom pie recipe. Was very good and so simple. Thank you. Then this morning I found I had left the laptop on this page and then went on to find all your other recipes. I have saved you as a “favourite” and will be visiting your pages again and again I am sure. Thank you because I am not a keen cook and don’t have very much time at all everything is always a bit ad hoc in my kitchen. Your recipes look quick, easy and mostly not full of ingredients I have never heard of which is what you get in a lot of fashionable cookbooks nowadays. Thank you and I look forward to trying them out. Jill Rogers, Radstock, Somerset.