Well for my first post over here at WordPress it seems fitting to post what is probably the messiest recipe I routinely cook but ultimately one of the most rewarding. Hopefully the comparison will carry through! I’m still getting used to how things work over here and anyone who can see it at this stage can see that this page is still a work in progress. The filling is here it’s just the decorations that are taking a little time! I hope that you’ll bear with me while I get all moved in and sorted out but in the mean time here is my recipe for Chewy Chocolate Cookies:
4 egg whites
300g icing sugar
115g cocoa powder
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tbsp water
100g chocolate chips (plain, milk, or white are all fine, I like to use a mix of plain and white)
– Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 and line 3 baking sheets with baking paper and grease well.
-Use and electric whisk to beat the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy.
– Sift the icing sugar, cocoa powder, plain flower and coffee powder into the egg whites.
– Add the water and gently mix together using a spoon until the powder is combined then use the electric beater to beat it until the mixture thickens. (If you just go straight in there with the electric whisk the powdery ingredients fly up and cover everything in the kitchen.)
– One the mixture is a glossy dark chocolate colour add the chocolate chips and stir through the mixture.
– Use spoons to place a generous spoonful of mixture onto the prepared trays leaving one inch between each mound.
– Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the top is set and cracked but the inside is soft. If you don’t have an extra shelf just do two batches.
-Leave the cookies on the tray for a minute or two then use a metal spatula or pastry scraper to remove them from the paper and place them on a rack to cool.