This dessert came about beacause I had to use up half a block of puff pastry and the strawberries were in danger of going off. While poking about the cupboard I found a block of marzipan had a hole in the packet so I decided to use that too. Et voila!
250g ready made puff pastry
Approx 12 strawberries
3 tbsp flaked almonds
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
– Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 and prepare a non stck baking tray.
– Roll out the pastry into a long rectangle and place on the baking tray. Score a line down the two longest sides about 1.5 cm from the edge.
– Roll out the marzipan to approximately the same size as the inside of the two lines. Place on top of the pastry.
– Cut the strawberries into 3 parts, lay the central part in the middle with the outer two pieces either side, cut side up. Continue to lay the strawberries in this fashion on top of the marzipan filling in any gaps as necessary.
– Sprinkle the strawberries with the sugar and flaked almonds.
– Brush the sides of the pastry with milk.
– Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden.