This is a great recipe as you can make it in advance and leave it to marinate overnight/all day or you can throw it together a scant hour before and it’s still a great tasting dinner. You want to serve it with a mild tasting vegetable as the marinade can have a bit of a kick to it and the contrast is welcome. A dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche works nicely too.
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp smoky paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cayenne pepper
rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped mint (either fresh or mint sauce will work)
2 tbsp chopped coriander*
200ml yogurt/creme fraiche
4 chicken breasts
– Mix the garlic, paprika, coriander, cayenne and lemon rind and juice in a bowl.
– Add the fresh herbs and yogurt and mix well.
– Spoon a few spoonfuls into the bottom of an oven proof dish.
– Slash the chicken breasts a few times diagonally then place in the dish on top of the mixture.
– Spoon the rest of the mixture over them making sure they are coated all over.
– Leave to marinate for about 30 minutes, overnight if possible.
– Heat the oven to Gas mark 6 and bake for 30 minutes.
– Serve with basmati rice and vegetables**.
* I keep a bunch of this in the freezer then just use scissors to chop off as much as I need for a recipe. I also keep a jar of it about for emergencies.
** Optional but delicious! I like to serve sauteed red peppers and either butternut squash roasted with a little garlic and sea salt or courgettes and green beans sauteed in butter.