Good comfort food this, great served with vanilla ice cream or any kind of cream actually. It’s a great follow up to a roast as you just chuck it in the oven about an hour before you want to eat it and leave it until you pull it out and dish it up. It’s a very flexible dish, I had the oven on at Gas mark 5 and 7 and finally off while cooking this and it usually comes out just about perfect every time. You can replace the plums with most other fruits too, but keep an eye on it to see it doesn’t over cook.
6 large plums
3 slices of bread, made into breadcrumbs
6 tbsp demerara sugar
a knob of butter
– Slice the plums into 1/8ths and remove the stones.
– Put in a pudding basin and sprinkle with half the sugar.
– Top this with the bread crumbs and sprinkle with the other half of the sugar.
– Slice up the knob of butter and dot it all over the top.
– Place in the oven for an hour at Gas mark 5 or if you have something else cooking as a main course then put it in with that until the juice bubbles up and stains the crumbs.