I made this a few months back and have only just got round to putting the recipe up. It’s too late for elderflowers now but keep it in mind for next year. I’m well known for drinking nothing but diet coke and I think this stuff is delicious!
Makes around 2.5 litres
1.8 litres boiling water
25 very fresh large elderflower heads
50g citric acid*
2 medium oranges, sliced
2 large lemons, sliced
– Put the sugar ina large bowl or pan (I used a jam pan) and pour on the boiling water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and leave to cool for 30 mins.
– Meanwhile pluck the flowers from the stalks, making sure to remove any bugs. You can leave little bits of stalk in but nothing too thick or it will spoil the flavour.
– Add the citric acid, sliced fruit and flowers to the sugar syrup, stir well and then cover and leave in a cool place to infuse for 24 hours stiring from time to time.
– After 24 hours heat the oven to Gas Mark 1 and put 3 or 4 thoroughly washed and rinsed screw top wine bottles in for 15 minutes. Remove and leave to cool for another 15 mintues. Put the tops in boiling water for a few minutes to sterilise them.
– Strain the elderflower liquid through a seive lined with muslin or a clean teatowel making sure there are no bits.
– Pour into the prepared bottles, seal and leave to cool. When cool place in a cool dark place to store, or perferably a fridge.
– Drink diluted with cold fizzy or tonic water.
*Can be bought from most traditional chemists, you usually have to ask as apparently heroin addicts use it for something and so they restrict access.