Makes 12 Cupcakes, 1 8″ cake
4 eggs, beaten
113g caster sugar
113g plain flour
a pinch of salt
– Either grease an 8″ cake tin with a little oil or place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin and heat your oven to gas mark 5.
– Whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric hand whisk until i is pale and fluffy and has doubled in size.
– Sift in the flour and salt from a good height and fold in thoroughly using as few strokes as possible to keep the air in the mixture.
– Gently tip into the cake tin or muffin cases* and bake for 30-35 mins for a cake, 20 mins for cupcakes.
*This recipe doesn’t rise by more than a few mm so fill to within a centimeter of the top of the case.
Low Calorie Icing
Makes enough to ice about 36 cupcakes. A little goes a long way.
5 tbsp low fat cream cheese
1 tbsp skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract*
3 cups icing sugar
– Mix together the cream cheese, milk and vanilla.
– Gradually add the icing sugar a cup at a time and mix well to remove lumps.
* Or other flavourings like a tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp fruit puree etc.
This recipe came about because my mum has very high cholesterol and has recently been put on new medication that makes her feel ill if she eats something too fatty, such as the previous cupcake recipe. In order for her to indulge her sweet tooth I found this fat free sponge recipe and I am more than impressed. It’s light, fluffy, almost guilt free and takes half the effort a regular sponge does if you have an electric hand whisk. I am a convert, I just have to perfect the icing so it can be piped onto a cake and I’ll be very satisfied.