450g self raising flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g butter, softened
1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp sultanas (I always put much more in I just do it by eye)
Just under 300ml milk
– Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7 and grease two baking trays.
– Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
– Rub in the butter.
– Add the sugar and sultanas and mix together with just enough milk to give a soft dough.
– On a floured board, roll out to around 1.5cm thick and cut into rounds using a 6cm cutter.
– Place on the trays an bake for 13-15mins until golden and firm.
– Remove from the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool.
– Serve warm or cold with clotted cream and jam.