200g Golden caster sugar
200g Unsalted butter
4 large eggs
200g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
– Heat the oven to Gas mark 6 and place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
– Cream together your butter and sugar in a large bowl.
– Beat together the eggs and vanilla essence.
– Gradually add the eggs, mixing thoroughly in between.
– Fold in the flour.
– Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases until around 2/3 full
– Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.
– Leave to cool and then ice with butter cream (see next post).
– For lemon or orange cupcakes add the zest of one lemon or on small orange to the butter and sugar and don’t use vanilla essence.
– For chocolate cupcakes just add 2 heaped desset spoons of sifted cocoa powder along with the flour.
– Add approx 50g seasonal fruit to the mixture after the flour such as raspberries or even sultanas.